How to create a model in Roblox?
1. Firstly, you will need to choose a type of model that you want to build. There are two types: Static and Dynamic.
Static models: Static models appear in the catalog and can be sold for Robux like any other item in the catalog (e.g: Part 1, Part 2). They cannot move or interact with the player, but they do not disappear when you get rid of them. A static mesh is like a box or any other game object in ROBLOX Studio.
Dynamic models: Dynamic models cannot appear in the catalog and only exist as temporary objects which you spawn during gameplay to use for whatever purpose you see fit. Typically, these are things that would be very difficult or impossible to create as regular parts e.g: weapons, vehicles, special effects etc… These can interact with players and other dynamic objects, but disappear when you delete them. These are very customizable in ROBLOX studio.
2. Then, choose what type of model it is whether it is static or dynamic. If the model is static, build a box with snap to grid enabled in ROBLOX Studio. For example:
If the model is dynamic, start building your model in blender or 3D studio max then export it as an .fbx file into ROBLOX Studio using Roblox Studio Model Importer.
How I can make my own clothing?
That depends on what you mean by “clothing”. If you mean something that is merely a part which appears as clothing in your character’s appearance (e.g: hair, shirt, pants etc…), then build the part and attach it to your character like any other part. The part should appear as clothing when you go to appearance. Clothing can be created using brick! But if you want physical cloth objects such as shirts and pants, better use Blender or 3DS Max because Roblox Studio Model Importer cannot export them into ROBLOX Studio.
How do I make custom animations for my model?
If your model uses bricks (faces with models attached / childed parts) then spawn the bricks before playing the animation by pressing Ctrl+G. Bricks have a set of animations including walk, run and jump. Make sure you have animation sets ready for this! If your model does not use bricks, then add a new brick to the model in ROBLOX Studio under Show Advanced Tools > Animation Set Editor > + Add an Animation Set. Then select the part on the stage and play it using animate on frame or animate on timeline.
How can I add physics to my Roblox models?
There’s various ways:
- By creating parts with mesh. As long as you enable Physics for that part, it is considered a physical object.
- By adding EPhysics to the root part only if you are making a dynamic model (it cannot be done by editing parts such as brick). It can also be applied using Add Force and Torque on frame or timeline specifically at the location of the object which you want it to interact with. If an object has these properties, then it becomes physical automatically upon enabling physics for that part.
- By creating a Character Controller and bringing your character into 3D view so that you can use it as a reference to spawn other objects e.g: weapons, vehicles etc… which will be controlled by your character controller via scripting so that they become physical objects under Player > Character Controllers folder in ROBLOX Studio.
- By scripting to spawn objects with EPhysics at the desired location where you want it to interact with other objects e.g: particles, explosions etc… using Add Force, Torque and Explosions on Frame or Timeline in ROBLOX Studio’s Script Editor. You can also use set velocity for this so that your object moves towards the desired location.
- By enabling Simulation > Gravity in ROBLOX Studio’s Build Tool (not available in Roblox Studio Model Importer). Your model will automatically turn physical when you enable gravity if its root part has Mesh enabled in show advanced tools . The only problem is that the simulation might not work perfectly in some cases; especially when making models which are extremely tall or long.
What is “physics type”?
It’s the property of a brick part which determines whether it’s physical or not. You can find this option in Show Advanced Tools > Physics and select Physical or RigidBody.
What should I build in Roblox Studio Model Importer?
Build what you want to export into ROBLOX Studio. This would be used in much cases when building custom models for your game or if you are making a model which is not allowed in Roblox itself.
How can I fix an error that says “This object needs to have Physics Enabled in the part(s) where it was created”?
You either need to enable Mesh in show advanced tools > physics for each part of your object OR create one part using brick and spawn it using Ctrl+G before playing animations on frame or timeline. What this does is make sure all parts are physical ones (e.g: cannot spawn non-physical parts). It’s alright even if you don’t attach mesh to a brick, as long as it is Spawned using Ctrl+G then it will be considered a physical object.
What are “Show Advanced Tools” and how do I open them?
In Build > Tool Boxes > Show Advanced Tools > Mesh Edit Tools > Animation Set Editor > Physics Editor. Click show advanced tool to expand the tools under certain tabs e.g: physics or animation set editor etc… You should have this enabled by default when starting Roblox Studio so that you can access these features easily without having to press a key first before opening a different tab.
How do I animate my model’s mouth/teeth if the character has teeth?
If your character uses bricks (childed parts) then spawn them using Ctrl+G before playing animations on frame or timeline. If you want to animate parts of your model such as the eyes, mouth and teeth separately from the body itself, make sure each part has Mesh enabled under show advanced tools > physics or else they will not move when played with animation at a different speed.