Table of Contents
How to clean Xbox one controller?
The Xbox One Controller is an excellent gamepad, but after continuous use, it can dirty and collect dirt particles. Cleaning this controller often can keep it in a good condition for a long time. So how to do that? Please find the steps below.
- Turn off your Xbox one console! At first, you have to make sure you have powered down your Xbox One console, otherwise, it may cause damage to the controller.
- Gather up all materials needed for this job: a clean microfiber cloth, rubbing alcohol, water, and paper towels. You can use a q-tip too. Make sure they are soft.
- Open up the battery compartment of the controller with a small screwdriver or coin and drain any remaining charge from the batteries by leaving it on until it shuts itself off. If there is still some power left in it then discharge them fully by keeping them out of the controller for 20 minutes before continuing with step 4. An easy way to do this is to just let them sit in your Xbox one controller overnight so they are completely drained when you are ready to continue.
- Now that the Xbox one controller batteries are discharged, you can proceed with cleaning it. First, unplug any accessories such as the headset and USB cable from your Xbox One Controller.
- Take a dry paper towel and gently wipe off all of the physical dirt and debris on your Xbox One Controller. Make sure not to press too hard because this may cause damage to the finish of the controller. If there is any stubborn dirt or stains, use a q-tip dampened with rubbing alcohol to get rid of them. Then take another dry paper towel or clean microfiber cloth to remove any excess moisture and allow it to air dry for about 10 minutes before proceeding to the next step.
- Once the controller has dried, now you can proceed to re-juice it back up. If your Xbox One Controller uses AA batteries then you just need to put them back in and it should start right up. If however, your Xbox one controller is rechargeable via USB cable, just plug it back in and charge it until the indicator light on the cable turns green or red if there’s still some juice left in it, whichever comes first, before continuing with step 7.
- Now that your Xbox one controller is all cleaned up and ready for action once again, place the thumbsticks, triggers, and D-pad/Bumpers back on by lining them up properly with their respective ports and pressing them down firmly until you hear a click. Doing this will ensure they are securely back in place before putting your Xbox one controller back together.
- Finally reassemble your Xbox One Controller by following these steps in reverse order, making sure to line up the screw holes properly so there is no question about its proper assembly. Once all the screws are in place and tightened down, give it a final once over with the dry paper towel or microfiber cloth to remove any excess moisture, and then plug in your headset and USB cable (if it’s rechargeable via USB cable). Now go ahead and power on your console and enjoy!
How can I clean my Xbox One controller without taking it apart?
You can clean your Xbox one controller without opening it. At first, hold your Xbox One Controller under a faucet and let the water run over it for 5-10 seconds then dry it with a paper towel or cloth, hold your thumb on the end of the thumbstick while doing this to keep the joystick stationary. If you are brave enough to take apart your Xbox One controller, don’t worry if you can’t do that just follow these steps below:
- Take some rubbing alcohol and put on a q-tip.
- Gently rub all around buttons maybe even open up back of Xbox one controller
- Use another q-tip with water only, and rinse off any alcohol left over
- Dry off the controller with a paper towel or cloth, and hold your thumb on the end of the thumbstick
- Make sure not to get water inside other parts while you are doing this or it can mess up your Xbox One Controller!
- Hold the charge button for about 20 seconds while holding down any buttons that flash red, don’t let go until they stop flashing.
- Put the controller back together
- It should work now
- Good luck if you have problems just comment and I will try and help as much as possible.
How do you fix a stuck right trigger on the Xbox one controller?
If your Xbox One Controller has a problem with its right trigger getting stuck in place so it gets annoying when trying to aim in fps games like fall etc…, then there is a way to fix this by taking your Xbox one controller apart and fixing it. To do so first follow these steps:
- Unscrew the screws on the back of your Xbox One Controller, and take out any case panels.
- Once all screws are out gently slide off the back casing.
- Take both the left and right thumbsticks up at the same time to remove them from underneath then gently lift them out.
- Hold your Xbox One Controller face down with the battery cover facing up, press in on both triggers to release their locks then pull them straight up away from your Xbox one controller without twisting them. Don’t worry about pulling too hard because won’t break if you do it right.
- The trigger will now be completely separated from your Xbox One Controller, gently pull the triggers outwards to remove them, and make sure to take note of which side is up because you will need to put them back in later on.
- Now that the triggers are removed, use some rubbing alcohol on a q-tip and rub it on any areas where it would cause problems for the trigger to move properly e.g. around the bottom of left or right triggers or inside either top ends where they meet with the spring(if stick expands when you press it go there too). Then dry everything off with a paper towel/clothes.
- Once everything is perfectly dry reassemble Xbox one controller in reverse order by putting back in triggers in the same way they came out.
- Now for the tricky part, you need to move triggers up and pull them back towards your Xbox one controller at the same time while twisting them slightly, when they are in place push down on both of them to make sure they are locked in. If done right you should hear a clicking noise when doing this.
- Now put everything back together by screwing all screws back in.
- When putting on the casing just hold the triggers up while pushing the case around it so that buttons will line up properly with your Xbox one controller again, once it’s on slide both sides simultaneously into place then screw them back into place!